Thursday 18 October 2012

Escape with a Camera

My book, Built for Justice - visits to old North Island Courthouses, is well in the production stage. However, the other day I got a call from the book designer regarding a problem with some of my photographs. Towards the end of my research and photographing travels I had changed cameras.  My trusty Canon had packed up and when I started using a new one of a different make I forgot to check the degree of resolution.  Some of the photos I took were not of a high enough resolution to publish well.
The quick answer was to hit the road and rephotograph.  Fortunately the photos causing the problem were all taken within four or five hours drive of home. (New Zealand is a pretty small country after all.) I set off in the little camper at 7am on a beautiful sunny morning and had reached the historic old gold mining town of Coromandel by 9am, and after taking some shots and picking up a coffee it was back heading through the Waikato region down to Whakatane in NZ's Bay of Plenty which has always been a favourite destination of mine.
 Old Coromandel Courthouse
 
On a fine day Whakatane is a great place to visit. The stop bank that goes through the town following the edge of the harbour and estuary is a popular walking track, and joggers and family groups were using it late into the evening. The local campground is close to town and behind the stopbank.  After parking the campervan I walked into town to the nearest supermarket for some provisions and a bottle of wine to enjoy as the sun set over the Bay of Plenty.  I had chosen the right day to escape with the camera, as the next day was terrible with rain and howling winds and it was a long much buffeted trip home in the van.
 
Watch this space for more about my book, or go to www.alibipress.co.nz.
 
 View of Whakatane
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment